Throw some flour in your face
Ever notice how some families have little 'in jokes' or sayings that take a lot of time to explain to others? In our family, we quote heavily from "The Princess Bride". If you haven't seen it, then you won't know what we are referring to when we say the lettuce in the fridge is "only mostly dead" or "Good night Wesley, have a good sleep, I'll most likely kill you in the morning".
We also use words that the kids used when they were little. "I have a hegg ache" or "you talka mea choclit bah". All these things work themselves into the fabric of famly life and are understood because of the common experience.
I thought of this last night again when I was making Rice Krispy Squares. I had bought the materials and thought I would quick whip up a batch while I waited for dinner to cook. As I was doing it, I thought "Boy, this is so easy. Why don't I do this more often?" And then I thought of that commercial where the mom is reading a book in the kitchen and the kids are waiting for the RKS to arrive. She yells at them to be patient because "these things take time". Just before she brings them out, she throws some flour in her face to look as if she had really worked hard.

I use that term often. Anything that is deceptively simple warrants the comment "Throw some flour in your face".
Comments