Names

Although my given name is Marion, I am known as Marni. I have been called Marni ever since I was a little girl (unless I was in trouble, and then my middle name was used as well). I used to spell Marni with an "e" but then, somewhere around the time I was trying to be unique (i.e. those precious teen years) I took the "e" off. I now spend much of my time when spelling my name for someone, trying to get them to remember there is no "e".
A conversation might go something like this:
Salesperson: O.K.. let's get this form filled out. Your name?
Me: Marni
Salesperson begins to spell it out...I see immediately that the "e" is going on the page and I state very clearly "there is no "e" in my name. It is Marn "i".
Manys the time when the "e" has stayed on the page. It's as if the "e" has created a hearing/memory blockage in the writer. The "e" stares up at me daring me to be assertive enough to remind the salesperson to remove it. Some people have known me for a long time and they still spell Marni like this M.a.r.n.i.e. Usually I refrain from reminders. I inwardly shrug and tell myself that I am not going to sweat the small stuff. Although I do admit to finding myself occasionally rubbing out the "e" when they are not looking. Or using white out, an eraser, a pen to scratch it out...an elbow casually going over the white board. I will not admit to it being an obsession. I prefer to think of it as an education process. One day, God willing and the creek don't rise, they will see the light (or the space) and not use "e" on the end of my name. There might be a day coming, when they actually look at how I sign my name at the end of the email and see that indeed, there is no "e" on my signature. Just M.a.r.n.i.
Manys the time when the "e" has stayed on the page. It's as if the "e" has created a hearing/memory blockage in the writer. The "e" stares up at me daring me to be assertive enough to remind the salesperson to remove it. Some people have known me for a long time and they still spell Marni like this M.a.r.n.i.e. Usually I refrain from reminders. I inwardly shrug and tell myself that I am not going to sweat the small stuff. Although I do admit to finding myself occasionally rubbing out the "e" when they are not looking. Or using white out, an eraser, a pen to scratch it out...an elbow casually going over the white board. I will not admit to it being an obsession. I prefer to think of it as an education process. One day, God willing and the creek don't rise, they will see the light (or the space) and not use "e" on the end of my name. There might be a day coming, when they actually look at how I sign my name at the end of the email and see that indeed, there is no "e" on my signature. Just M.a.r.n.i.
Today I had an experience which has given me another dimension to this whole story. I went to a store and some forms had to be filled out.
Saleslady: What's your name?
Me: Marni - M.a.r.n.i
Me: Marni - M.a.r.n.i
Saleslady begins to fill it out: M.a.r.n.i. e....
Me: There's no "e"
Saleslady continues to write.
Now the page looks like this
M a r n i e No e B r e c h i n.
M a r n i e No e B r e c h i n.
Now, that's unique!
Comments
Apparently you are in good company.
Sandrelle with an E
JaneyJane with Noe Last Name
Carroll or Carollynn forever..
Or how about JonathOn...
People even spell LEE wrong!!
And due to the Ministry of Transportation woman who insisted "You can't do that!!!" I am now "Wallace-Lee" on my driver's license and if you don't think that hasn't made hassles... how many places want your driver's license for ID and YEP!! you guessed it. I have to explain and explain about the little lady at the Ministry.... Tiring....
Thanks for the chuckle M.A.R.N.-to-me
clwl