This is for...

I went to cheer on my daughter the other night. Two teachers combined their students for a piano and voice recital. As I was sitting there listening to 31 students present their work, I thought of a few things. Thus the label. [ I know you could do this for the parents who cheer on their sports stars too but...]
This is For
  • All the parents who decide to give music a shot and find a music teacher - mostly on the word of other parents.
  • All the parents who pay the money every week to have their kid take music.
  • All the parents who show up to take the kids to the lessons every week.
  • All the parents who purchase the books, bring the books,and go back to find the books when their kids have "forgotten" theirs.
  • All the parents who encourage, [nag] their kids about practicing.
  • All the parents who make time to come to the recitals and applaud their kids loudly even though they have heard the song a million gazillion times
  • All the parents who sit there at the recital and don't think to themselves "$600 for lessons, and I get 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'
Not all kids will be the superstars of music. But if, amongst those 31 kids I heard the other night, 10 or so go on to use music in their life, that's a great average. If you are one of those parents I just described, I urge you to take yourself out for coffee and celebrate your decision to make music a priority. If you are a kid who has benefited from your parents' decision to give music a go, I urge you to take them out for coffee to thank them. (I see this as a win-win situation!)
p.s. In the program notes, I wrote beside my daughter's name "the only one who made me cry". Thanks for the music Dolly.



Have a good week everyone.

Comments

Anonymous said…
And now, Dolly, you've made me cry.
Your insights and observations, and cheers are like MUSIC to my ears! Thank you so much.

xoxo
Jefiner said…
AWW I guess I will have to take you for some coffee. Maybe in my car! :D

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom